BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, March 6, 2008

Parenting....

Today I was watching Oprah (even though it was a rerun). This episode I also have TiVoed and have watched it at least 2 other times. Talk about a powerful show. I think that this is an episode that every parent that has a child in school (especially in lower income schools) should have to watch - whether the family be white, black, hispanic, etc. Something that Bill Cosby said was that some parents are scared to talk to their kids or be involved in their child's lives. They talked about becoming purposeful and effective parents. Being a teacher at a lower income school, I can tell you I completely agree with just about all Cosby had to say about these situations and people. I think that it is amazing that during parent conference time it wasn't unsual to have at least 5 parents that didnt even show up or much less send back anything telling when they would like to meet with you. Also, I think it is very interesting that when you send a note home to parents asking for tissues, maybe one or two parents send any in, but when you ask for snacks for a party, every parent sends in food. I think that it is sad that in my 3 1/2 years that I have been teaching, I have had to call DSS at least 3 times. I was told of a situation today where if I were still teaching, I would have had to call DSS again. Some people just shouldn't become parents! Anyway, that is my soap box for today. If you are interested in reading about Bill Cosby's points, he does have a book out called "Come On People" which is a really good read. Since I am becoming a parent soon, I will have to say that I will definitely keep these points in mind.
On a lighter note, I mentioned the other day that I have begun reading "I'm With Stupid." Talk about a funny book. Granted this book is one that takes a little more brain power to read than some of the other books I have read lately, but still a good one. In chapter 2, there was a list of things that would not exist in a female's world. One example that I laughed at was that there wouldnt be grades of gas (regular, plus, premium, etc.). The reason for this is "Get gas, put in car, go." Simple as that. There was also a list for the male world. It said that the only art form even faintly resembling ballet would be the wave. Also in this book, in Chapter 3 there is a quiz to see where you are on the continuum of male and female. It asks 20 questions and you count up points per question to see where on the line you fall. An example of a question:

How would you remove a coffee stain from a nice silk shirt?
a. Sodium bicarbonate and club soda
b. The dry cleaners
c. a soapy sponge
d. windex

Luckily that when I finished the quiz, I recieved 45 points which is definitely in the female range. As written in the book, if you score under 65, you are either a woman or a wuss.
Anyway, just a funny part of the story that I read today....Already on chapter 5. I will keep you updated if there is anything else that I find necessary to share.

0 comments: